Okay, her timeline was off a bit--the party is this afternoon, meaning she skipped lunch and rest--but I was more fixated on the "pretty party clothes." She doesn't have pretty party clothes. After buying her a special Christmas outfit for the last 4 year running, outfits that she wore for the hour it took to go to Vespers at church, I decided not to bother this year. She never particularly liked them or wanted to wear them. And now this.
So, late last night, when I remembered to tell Mama the quandry, we strategized about how to acquire said clothes. We didn't want to deprive her of the dress-up factor, realizing that she is severely at a fashion disadvantage with a butch Mama and a granola Mommy, neither of whom give much of a second, or sometimes even a first, thought to clothes usually. I loved dressing up as a girl and envied the fluffy, frilly party dresses a classmate had (Mama had to wear those and apparently hated them). I didn't want Sis to do without, if possible (within reason, which is no doubt why Gommie didn't buy those crazy frilly dresses; I did of course have lovely dresses--just not the ones with layers of petticoats!). I could've run to Target before it closed at 11 pm. Or Mama could have gone during lunch today and had the clothes ready when we got there for Sis to change into.
But then, this morning, I asked Sis about it. What did she want to wear today? Turns out, "pretty party clothes" are pink. And nothing more. Not fancy, not new, not even a dress. She selected from her pile of clothes a plain pink shirt and pink pants. Perfect, she said. It pays to ask, you see. And not to pile on my own issues and fears.
Time to go get dressed . . . . but I don't have anything to wear!
(Oh, and Gommie, because I know you're going to ask. She wears a 5T!)
No comments:
Post a Comment