Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving Live: The Cooking Has Begun

I made my first Thanksgiving recipe this morning.  


Right, not yesterday with the kids as planned.  Time and energy were in short supply, as was motivation; they were making their own Wizard of Oz novels (more on that soon).


So this morning.  I started with the rolls, a new recipe, Big-Batch Quick Dinner Rolls (no worries, I trust King Arthur Flour)--simple ingredients, big batch, enough for everyone.  It wasn't technically a bread machine recipe, but I adapted.  And it seemed to turn out just fine.  There are three pans of eight, sealed and safe in the freezer, where they'll stay until bedtime when I'll pull them out to defrost (it doesn't say, but I'll probably defrost in the fridge).  Two pans for us, one for Mama Teacher.  I hope it works.  And I'll let you know.


-=-=-=-=-=-


Big-Batch Quick Dinner Rolls



  • 1/2 cup lukewarm water
  • 2 cups warm milk ( 100 - 110°F)
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons yeast, instant preferred
  • 6 to 7 cups KA all-purpose flour
I put everything in my bread machine (using 5 cups of flour and then adding 1 1/2 more as needed).  I let it knead and then rise about 30+ minutes (i.e. not the whole cycle).  And then removed the dough, made a 12 x 8" rectangle, divided it into 4 rows with 6 rolls each, rolled them into balls, and placed them into greased aluminum pie tins.  Then I covered them tightly and put them in the freezer.  I'll defrost overnight.  In the morning, I'll preheat to 350F and bake 20-25 minutes until golden.  Yum!

King Arthur Flour

No comments:

Post a Comment