Thursday, December 10, 2009

Baking Live, Part 3

So, a few notes:

  • I like whisking flour and other dry ingredients instead of sifting. I saw it on a Martha Stewart show recently and gave it a try.
  • While I didn't need the trick for these cookies, one hint when you have to cover something in non-stick spray is to do it over your open (dirty) dishwasher door. It'll catch the extra spray and get cleaned up in the next wash. Related to tonight, my mixer is above my dishwasher, so I just brush crumbs and mess into the door below.
  • I'm trying parchment paper (unbleached, but with silicon) for the first time this week. I didn't want to have to keep washing and drying my silpats. Now, I have had some reservations about the silpats (are we going to find out that silicon leaks toxins too?) and had thought parchment was silicon-free. I guess I'll have to keep looking.
  • I've also been a stickler with room temperature eggs/cold butter. Can't say I can see a difference . . . .
But I haven't tried a cookie yet. First, because I think I'm overloaded on holiday food right now. But more importantly, because I want to wait until Mama gets home from her office party. Besides, I can't ice them until they're cool, which will probably be tomorrow morning. And if I try too many, I won't have enough . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment