Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Meals for Friends

It's a big meal-delivery day for me tomorrow, with meals going to two separate church friends in need. And because both of them have recently had my stuffed shells (which is my go-to for meals for friends), I'm making Fiesta Rice instead. Though, I'm not sure how closely I'll be following this recipe, since I don't have sausage or beef broth. And while a red and green pepper would have been fun for the season, I think I'm going with yellow and red. It's a great recipe because it makes a ton--one batch will feed both families.

-=-=-=-=-

Fiesta Rice

2 lbs spicy Italian sausage, casings removed (we used 1 lb ground turkey and 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin (used taco seasoning)
4 onions, chopped
4 green bell peppers, chopped (skipped this part)
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (skipped)
4 cups beef broth
2 packages (about 6 oz each) long grain and wild rice mix (used Zatarains, which is seasoned)

Brown sausage in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to break up. Add garlic and cumin; cook 30 seconds. Add onions, bell peppers, and jalapenos. Cook and stir about 10 minutes or until onions are tender. Place mixture in slow cooker.

Stir in beef broth and rice.

Cover; cook on LOW 4-6 hours or on HIGH 2-3 hours.

The Slow Cooker Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment