Why? I read the Consumer Reports study that the average single serving of green beans has 80 times more BPA than the FDA recommends for a 165-pound adult! And that children eating one or two foods from cans a day receive levels of BPA that cause serious and harmful effects in lab rats.
And this week, Nicholas Kristof writes about the health bill and the kitchen. I had wondered if we weren't bailing the boat without fixing the hole: sure we can provide better health care coverage, which I absolutely believe is desperately needed, but if we are poisoning ourselves at the same time, it isn't going to make us a healthier nation. As Kristof points out, breast cancer rates have soared in the last 40 years, with risks at only 1 percent in 1975 to 12 percent now: that's 1 in less than 10 instead of 1 in 100! As someone at risk--early menstruation, late first pregnancy, overweight, family history--this greatly concerns me (which is why I read about the breast cancer prevention drug with great interest--it cuts risk rates dramatically; I'll be asking about that at my next OB visit).
So, we have already gotten rid of almost all the plastic containers in the house, and not just the "bad" plastics. We've switched to glass storage for everything but iced tea (which we're reconsidering as I type) and school snacks. And now we will be getting rid of almost all of our cans, especially canned soups and vegetables (with high rates, according to the CR study). But also cans of beans, fruits, tomatoes, whatever we have hanging around in the house. Yes, we'll still eat some cans--probably rare Asian fruits you can't get except in sugar syrup, and Ranch-style beans, maybe Ro-tel tomatoes. But only for once in awhile. Because while there seems be some evidence that much of it leaves with 5-9 hours, some stays around (and that 93% of us have some BPA in our bodies!!!!!). Cutting out our exposure to it can do nothing but help.
And, we'll be starting this New Year's resolution now, not in a month.
No comments:
Post a Comment