Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cookie Swap Countdown

Tomorrow is our playgroup cookie swap, one that we have been preparing for, in some ways, for more than a year. And, as with any big party--and this was has grown to 14 participants bringing 6 dozen cookies each--there are lots of last-minute details. There are three hosts, so we're splitting some of the work and cost, but most of it is falling on Mama Teacher because it will be at her house. I won't detail her efforts here, so as to keep some of the magic alive, but suffice it to say she's giving it her all, plus some!

I'll have a wrap up after tomorrow night, but there are some things I've already realized:
  • People don't RSVP well oftentimes--we've had a lot of late RSVPers and lots of non-RSVPers, which makes it hard, especially with a party like this. Except in special circumstances, it's rude.
  • 72 cookies doesn't seem like a lot when split 14 ways. We could've gone the one-dozen-per-person route, but even I, baking-fan that I am, think 14 dozen is a bit too many cookies to have to make. Is five of each cookie per person satisfying? We'll see.
  • There are always last-minute changes. We realized that our plan for containers for people to put their cookies in wasn't going to be sufficient. So we're off in search of something else today. And, I suppose, this doesn't even qualify as a last-minute change!
  • I should've baked earlier in the week and frozen the cookies. Yep, I don't have cookies yet. And I changed my recipe late last night, so I don't have ingredients yet, either! Which means the baking has to go perfectly tonight, with a recipe I've never used (though, the other recipe was new too, and riskier). And my usual sous-chef is going to be out at yet another office party. If it doesn't go well, I have little wiggle-room. Tonight there is no help or support, no running out for back-up supplies for a do-over. Tomorrow, there are 2 hours while the kids are in school in the morning. And that's it. Wish me luck!
-=-=-=-=-
The cookie I'm not making:

Almond Bar Cookies

1/2 cup packed canned almond paste* (about 5 oz; not marzipan),
coarsely crumbled
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg, separated
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sliced almonds (about 1 1/2 oz)

Pulse almond paste in a food processor until broken up into small bits, then add salt and 1/4 cup sugar and continue to pulse until finely ground, about 1 minute.

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan, then line with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 opposite sides, and butter foil.

Beat together butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes in a stand mixer (preferably fitted with a paddle attachment) or 6 minutes with a handheld. Add almond mixture, egg yolk, and almondextract and beat until combined well, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, then add flour and mix until combined. Spread batter evenly in pan with an offset spatula. Lightly beat egg white in a small bowl, then brush some of it over batter and sprinkle evenly with almonds.

Bake until top is golden, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a rack, about 1 hour. Transfer with foil to a cutting board, then discard foil. Cut into squares or rounds.

Gourmet.com


1 comment: