Monday, December 21, 2009

For Lambeth: On Plants

Most times I write about being a vegetarian, my dear friend Lambeth tells me, usually in an email but sometimes in the comments, that plants have feelings too.

Well, Lambeth, here's an article in the NYTimes talking about that and much, much more. Turns out you were more right than you might have known (though, I wouldn't be surprised if you knew research, either). Check out the comments, too. I liked the description of Jainism:

Jainism, an Indian religion, advocates ahimsa or non-violence to all things but recognizes that violence is necessary to live. All we can do is to minimize our violence. Jains believe that the more senses a living thing has, the more pain it experiences and the more violence we cause when we kill it. So, to minimize violence, they say, to live, kill those things that have the fewest senses. ie. Kill the potato, but spare the pig.

But I'll still be a vegetarian.

1 comment:

  1. I had not realised it was as complex and as clever as all that. Iwas working with my basic knowledge of the fly trap plant ( a carnivore) and a few others. Plants do not appear to have a central brain as we do but they react on numerous surfaces, a bit like the dumb blonde, all skin and no brain. The idea of Jainism seems sensible but I am told that for a long term carnivore to drop it like a hot brick is not so good. I plan to continue with meat/poultry/fish 3 or 4 times a week and be kind to animals for the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete