Thursday, June 2, 2011

Monday's the Day

So, Monday is the day. We're doing our one-week (maybe two, but no more) vegan cleanse to rejuvenate ourselves after two months of meds and such.

I say "we" because Mama is joining me in eliminating eggs and dairy (plus meat for her, since she's not already a vegetarian), also coffee, refined sugars, and gluten. Which also means no processed foods and only restaurant foods from places that meet those criteria, like Bloodroot or other similar places. I imagine we'll be having lots of vegetables (stir-fried, sauteed, roasted, in soups), beans and grains with flavors from many different cultures ranging from Mexico to Italy to Egypt to India, fresh fruits in abundance, lots of herbal teas.

Why Monday? Well, first, after two months of the extreme generosity of playgroup and church friends who have brought us food three times a week since mid-April, we won't be getting any meals after tomorrow and will be cooking on our own. So we might as well make the most of it. (Not to say we are ungrateful. The meals we received were delicious and vegetarian and very appreciated.) Secondly, I'm inspired by my new energy and ability and mobility to be more involved with meals (no, no, I probably won't be doing much cooking or shopping, but will gradually try to engage in these activities). I imagine Mama will be putting things in the crockpot and then I can dish it out. Besides, it's practically the start of a brand new month.

I guess I shouldn't call it a cleanse, because it's not a traditional cleanse with juices and smoothies and supplements and raw foods and unusual foods (like grapefruit with cayenne pepper or something). Or colonics or the like. I mean "cleanse" as a break or change in recent habits through the use of cleaner, more natural foods for awhile. Do I believe that my liver will slough off toxins with a change of my diet? I don't know. But I like the idea of eating very mindfully, very consciously, very cleanly.

So if it's not my liver, what are my goals? I'd like to jump-start my weight loss, after two months of inactivity (during which, miraculously, I really haven't gained any weight). I'd like to reinvigorate and rededicate myself to healthy eating after lots of canned soups and packaged snacks. I'd like to re-engage with cooking and meal-planning, even in a minimal way, as it is one of my favorite hobbies.

I'll be keeping Alicia Silverstone's Kind Diet nearby as inspiration and resource, also Mark Bittman's Food Matters and other cookbooks, plus all my vegetarian cookbooks, including my new paperback Complete Tassajara Cookbook. And I'm going to read up more on the anti-inflammation diet. I'm really excited and think I can do it, though recognize that there will no doubt be some hiccups. But I'll be prepping this weekend, with meal plans and grocery lists to give us a good shot.

And, of course, I'll keep you updated. Until then, I'll probably be splurging on dairy this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment