Sunday, June 19, 2011

Vegan Pledge Review

I ended my vegan cleanse today with a bowl of blueberries in yogurt, with a drizzle of honey. Delicious and divine.

But the effects linger. I lost about 4 lbs in two weeks. My blood pressure dropped 20 points. My palate is reoriented to fresh fruits and vegetables, away from refined and processed foods. Is my liver happier? Are there less toxins in my body? I don't know. But I realized that I can do without so much--coffee, breads, refined sugar--and not feel deprived.

And so, we're going to continue, in a way. Nothing is off limits, as it has been for two weeks, but I want to continue the trend of limiting dairy, eggs, wheat, and sugar and focusing on fruits, vegetables, beans, whole grains. The goal is a continued focus on whole, natural foods, but also with an eye towards decreasing inflammation, especially since I can't take anti-inflammatories anymore.

After two weeks of doing completely without, it might be a challenge to actually balance small amounts--it's easier to say no outright. But it's worth it, I know. I might even make "vegan week" a monthly activity. We'll just have to see. But I highly recommend the experience to anyone who thinks seriously about food and health. Try it . . . I liked it.

2 comments:

  1. M decided that as to-day is Father's Day she would take me out to Sunday Lunch.. We also included a recent widow. We all had a traditional Sunday roast. Loved it, another 10 minutes off my life.

    ReplyDelete