I don't actually have a pantry, but several cabinets and cupboards in the kitchen and the basement filled with all sorts of quirky ingredients, mostly purchased for a recipe that never got made. And, according to the Minimalist's article on pantry stocking, a lot of what I keep, including canned beans, salad dressing, canned vegetables/fruits, vegetable and chicken stock, should be tossed in favor of fresh or at least homemade. It's true, I should make my own salad dressing and boil my own beans once a week, and he gives great and easy recipes for both, but I'm lucky I get lunch and dinner on the table every night with the shortcuts I have (as many of his commentors note, some of them rather aggressively. Gotta love NYTimes readers!). But his tips are useful and something to aspire to. Eventually. At least I already have the fresh spices from Penzey's!
No comments:
Post a Comment