Sunday, January 11, 2009

"I'm Gonna Live Forever"

We had one of those perfect family moments on Friday night. We were supposed to be heading up to bed and we were finishing cleaning up the toys, with music on the iPod. "The Body Electric" from Fame came on and, instead of going up, we all stayed downstairs and danced. Sis had the guitar; Bud had his banjo. I had the tambourine and Mama, later, had the camera filming it all. We danced and sang and played and spun. And so we played the song again. Then I couldn't resist playing the theme from Fame. Finally, exhausted, the kiddos allowed us to herd them upstairs for a much-later-than-normal bedtime, which in the end, didn't really matter much.

In truth, however morbidly, it would've made a great commercial for MADD, in the event of some unspeakable tragedy, you know the ones.

Especially with the admittedly spiritual lyrics:

I sing the body electric
I glory in the glow of rebirth
Creating my
own tomorrow
When I shall embody the earth

And I'll serenade Venus
I'll serenade Mars
And I'll burn with the fire of ten million stars
And in time
And in time
We will all be stars.

It was a beautiful, one-with-the-universe, moment of immortality, when thoughts of anything furture or past are gone and it's only the joy of the present that matters. What's bedtime compared with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment