Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Weaning Myself off My Crutch

Since starting physical therapy about a year and a half ago, I have worn a back brace which mainly held in my abdomen while I decreased my diastasis recti (tear in abdominal wall) and strengthened all the surrounding muscles, while also reminding me to be careful of my lower back. Well, I officially ended therapy last May and have been doing my regular exercises there (they let ex-patients use the equipment and consult with therapist for a small fee) 2-3 times a week (depending on chidcare) since then. I'm stronger and able to do so much more (and apparently I don't limp so much anymore).

But I haven't taken off the brace. It's old, it's stretched, but I've refused to buy a new one and even removed some of the support slats in an effort to wean myself from it. And it's working. I can now go 3-5 hours without it on and without worrying about it or missing it, mostly mornings at home. I'm hoping to go without it when I run errands by myself and then eventually quit wearing it in the tired, dangerous evenings when I'm most likely to do something stupid. I don't need it for my diastasis--which has shrunk so small (it will never go away) that my OB couldn't even feel it anymore. And I'm much more aware of my movements and am careful of my back (i.e. no stretching, turning, or bending at the same time; proper sitting; diversified activities, which means no long periods in any one position). It's really all mental. As we know, though, that can be a huge part.

But I'm taking it . . . one non-limping step at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment