- Frank Rich's op-ed on the personal responsibility each of us holds for the last eight years and the downturn the country has taken is sobering reading. Of course, he was the one who called Americans the "Good Germans" ignoring their own Gestapo a few years ago in another powerful opinion piece.
- With all the hubbub about the pre-recorded music of Yo-Yo Ma and company, I was quite gratified to read the positive article about arts funding which contained assertions that art jobs are just as important to the economy as manufacturing jobs. In fact, the arts apparently contribute $167 million dollars to the economy. I'm with Dr. American Modern in hoping that Obama appoints a culture minister (even if I don't care if it is Quincy Jones in particular) to elevate the visibility and respect for the arts in this country. Then perhaps I'll have a career to go back to!
- "Choosing Your Own Exit," another post on end-of-life choices, linking to the New Old Age blog as well as other articles on geriatric health.
- Two more on health: coffee and dementia (reduced risk of dementia and Type 2 diabetes? I'm drinking more coffee! Can it be decaf?) and cutting calories and memory (yet another link between insulin and memory).
- David Brooks on individualism vs. institutionalism. It's an interesting way to consider how we define ourselves. I was certainly part of academia as an institution, but am on sabbatical from that, so to speak. Now, I'm part of motherhood as an institution (though, the other night, I suggested we should think of it as a craft--more on that another time), but one whose rules and traditions seem to be in flux. I'm going to have to give this one some more thought.
- Last but not least, an essay on appreciating your parents at Motherlode. I'm already feeling somewhat unappreciated over here, even if it is more implicit than explicit. As for appreciating my parents, well, let's just say that the appreciation has definitely been deeper since my own parenthood. And I too have made those spur-of-the-moment "I'm sorry I was like that; I understand now" phone calls. Probably not the last ones, either. I mean, the kids are only 3 1/2. I have the whole teenage years ahead of me.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
In the Papers and On My Mind
Here's the latest survey of articles I've been thinking about:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment