Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Trip in Time

I really like to travel, or, more specifically, be at a new destination (not so fond of the getting there). I haven't done any traveling since I was pregnant, really, outside of a couple of trips to Texas, plus Boston and D.C. overnight. But as for new, interesting places, nope. And I would love to. It doesn't need to be a week or two in Florida, Italy, or South Korea (places my friends have taken children recently) to count for me. I'm not sure, right now, that would be fun.

But we live in a part of the country that I haven't really explored yet. Never been to upstate New York, anywhere in MA outside of Boston, much of PA or NJ, or anywhere else around here (i.e. RI, VT, NH, ME,). That means there is tons of new stuff for us to visit within a few hours' drive. So I proposed to Mama, who did a lot of traveling around here as a girl, that we take an overnight or weekend trip, either in the fall or spring, somewhere nearby. I suggested the Berkshires/Litchfield, a visit to Philly to see our friends (and then west of there) or Montauk. Mama lit on Plimoth Plantation in MA. Oooh, a trip and a living history museum. What could be better! So, we're doing what we used to do when we planned a trip: she does all the research and planning while I do all the daydreaming about it. I'm not sure what the kids' role will be, especially since we probably won't tell them we're going until a few days in advance. I'm giddy with anticipation even if it could be 9 months away, for just one night.

I guess I need to get out more. But it's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment