Thursday, January 22, 2009
Soup's Off
I've made two different batches of soup this week that haven't worked at all: split pea-lentil "confetti" soup and butternut squash soup. The pea-lentil soup was a bag mix from a company whose other soups I really like, but only one word can be used to describe this one: boring. I mean, it tasted of water. Sure, I didn't add the ham bone but I added other things that usually compensate for the lack of meat. Perhaps I should've cooked the beans in veggie stock instead of water. Ugh. I'm just not sure I can bring myself to eat it, if I can even get it doctored to edible. The other soup--a butternut squash one based on a recipe by Mark Bittman that uses 2 lbs squash, stock, and various garnishes--is extremely mediocre. I think my squash was mediocre--I know, I know, not the best time for squash, but my veg board soup challenge was pumpkin and so I substituted butternut (because I couldn't find a pumpkin). I'm going to save it for dinner and see if Mama can help me fix it. Or tell me that she agrees that it's inedible, too. What a disappointment. I might just have a can of Campbell's tomato or part of a box of Trader Joe's Sweet Potato Bisque instead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
One works just as hard if not harder on recipes that don't work as ones that do.
ReplyDelete