Monday, January 26, 2009

Rainbow Raccoon

Like raccoons who are supposedly attracted to shiny things, I love colors, preferrably the full rainbow spectrum, usually in order. Is it a lesbian thing? I doubt it. But I have long loved rainbow things (though, purple is my favorite individual color--and I'm disenchanted when objects, usually children's things, exclude it. Is purple an adult color? Or are rainbows for children somehow too gay? Would, say, a Fisher-Price ring stacker with purple somehow "convert" an otherwise "normal" child??). As a youngster, I had a room with rainbow-brushstrokes wallpaper and a concentric rainbow square comforter. There was a rainbow windsock, prisms casting rainbows from the window, and lots of rainbow-decorated objects. As I grew older, there were rainbow slinkies and various rainbow-colored manipulatives (you know, twisty blocks and metal bendables with beads) for my desk. And of course, as a proud lesbian, I had a few rainbow flags, in pin, earring, t-shirt, and freedom ring form. For a time, I made paintings of sunsets in rainbow hues and later crocheted rainbow blankets for me and the babes. Mama tolerates, is amused by, my love of the color spectrum. Which is good, because even now, the walls of our house, taking all the rooms together, include most of the colors of the rainbow (toned down and varied somewhat). There is no telling how many things I've bought or been drawn to because it contained the rainbow spectrum. But it's not insignificant.

And so, today, when I saw the Martha Stewart Living magazine (I imagine this link will only work for this month, as there wasn't a page just of the cover, so go look now) with the rainbow-hued cupcakes arrayed in a heart, I bought it immediately. It helped that it contained an article on lots of different kinds of flavors and designs for cupcakes, which instantly reminded me of my friend Miss T (which is why I called you tonight but you couldn't hear me, though I heard you just fine). I've already pulled the cover off and put it on my magnetic chalkboard. Looking at those colors just makes me happy.

So I guess it is a gay thing.

1 comment:

  1. Come off it! Rainbows have been around since water appeared on earth. For primitive man they must have seemed miraculous, especially those delightful double ones. I my opinion, as a consequence of the miraculouness ALL, people are attached to rainbows, possibly others are attached to eclipses, Spring tides and other natural phenomena. It is no more a sexual thing than a brick wall can talk. Sorry to disappoint you.

    ReplyDelete