Sunday, November 15, 2009

Warp Speed: Off the Loom

Mama's scarf is off the loom! After adding about 12 picks in my warp color and hemstitching it in same, my teacher helped me cut the scarf loose from the remaining warp waste. It still has the earlier sample attached while I decide what to do about tassle length, but otherwise, it's a scarf! And it looks great! I did find one major pattern error; I can't believe I didn't catch it earlier and unweave it, but c'est la vie. In fact, it is said that Navajo weavers intentionally leave a flaw in their work, which weavers usually leave in the same place, to allow evil spirits trapped in the rug to get out. Similarly, rugs woven in Turkey, Iran, and Central Asia, often include a flaw to express the humility of the weaver not wanting to compete with the perfection of God. My flaw wasn't intentional or discreet, but it's in good company.

Back to tassles. I have to decided about tassles. Mama doesn't want chunky or frilly tassles and is tempted to have me leave the fringe untwisted. My teacher suggested, and these are her words, "a less femme-y fringe" by making it very thin. Which will take forever. Mama has a few days to decide because our last class, when we'll discuss drafting and such, is next week. And it takes awhile to do tassles--she actually helped me last time.

Then I wash the scarf, which apparently brings the warp and the weft all together as well as brings out the sheen in the silk (it's a silk-wood blend), and iron it and it's ready to wear. I can't wait to see her wear it (though I still don't wear the one I made two years ago, too precious for that)! Of course, it's no surprise as a Christmas present, but she's okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment