Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Beans 'n Beer

So, I was carded this week, almost 18 years after I could legally drink. Nope, not by a clueless teenaged cashier. By a computer! I had used the new hand-scanner checkout thingie at my store and it noted that I bought a can of Foster's (can you read that without thinking "Australian for beer"?). When I did the self-checkout, it flagged that I needed to see a staff person. The teenager who showed up didn't even look at me but just cleared the flag. Still, it's been a long time since I've been carded (because I never was at 21. The whole two times I went out drinking!).

What was the Foster's for, you ask, knowing me to be not much of a drinker, much less a beer drinker? It's for beans. I'm making frijoles borrachos, or beans in beer. Should be yummy. Smells great. Can't wait.

-=-=-=-=-

Frijoles Borrachos, or Pinto Beans Stewed in Beer
adapted from Nava Atlas's The Vegetarian 5-Ingredient Gourmet

1 cup chopped tomatoes or lightly drained canned diced tomatoes
2-16 oz cans pinto or pink beans drained and rinsed, or 4 cups cooked pinto or pink beans (about 1 1/2 cups raw. I just used 16 oz).
1/2 cup beer
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (NOT in my beans!)
4 oz can mild green chilies
3 tablespoons pinto bean seasoning (I picked this up in Texas; not sure what goes in it but will look)

Combine all ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment