What? What? They taught her how to cook?? Who has been cooking with her for almost 3 years now? Rice krispy treats, sugar cookies, pumpkin pie, banana bread, cupcakes, scrambled eggs, chicken cutlets. And that's just recently. I pride myself on having welcomed them into the kitchen, included them early on, baked with them often, let them actually do stuff like crack eggs and roll dough and work the mixer.
When I questioned her assertion, reminding her of these things, she stuck to her guns. "No, Mom, my teachers taught me how to cook."
Mama tried to make it better later, "Maybe she means you taught her how to bake and they taught her how to cook." Nope, that's not what she meant.
The whole conversation followed hard on the heels of another, similar one. She and Bud were showing me the signs they were learning to accompany a song for feast day, including moon, sun, friend, and family. When I mentioned that we knew a variant of the sign for moon, Sis said that her teachers had taught her sign language, not me! So much for teaching them several signs before they were a year old, watching Signing Times with them, showing them how to spell their names in the manual alphabet. I thought it was parents who were the first, best teachers??!!
Thus a child's revisionism of her childhood begins.
No comments:
Post a Comment