Monday, November 2, 2009

Comfort Me with Apples and Oatmeal

I have a new breakfast specialty: Harvest Oatmeal, a hearty morning dish that I dreamed up myself, consisting of cooked oatmeal topped with buttery spiced skillet apples, craisins, and raisins. And then for mine, I added wheat germ, though I'm sure you could add walnuts or pecans too. The kids love it, though Sis has me take the craisins and raisins out of hers. It's what she asked for this morning for breakfast, one of the only things she ate all day.

-=-=-=-=-

Harvest Oatmeal

oatmeal, any kind cooked the way you like it (I make old-fashioned oats with milk)
4 apples, whatever you have, peeled and cut
appx. 1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
appx. 1 teaspoon cinnamon
handful each craisins and raisins

Cook oatmeal.

Meanwhile, melt butter and brown sugar in skillet, adding apples, cinnamon, and craisins/raisins. Heat until tender. Spoon over cooked oatmeal.

Top with whatever you like: wheat germs, nuts, whatever.

Mommy Hungry

No comments:

Post a Comment