Usually when I have butternut squash, I make soup. But I have so many this year that I tried something new--mashed squash with marmalade! And it was very good! Probably too good for regular eating, considering the butter and half-and-half--especially since only 2 of us are here to eat it, the kids refusing all offers to try it--but it's perfect for Thanksgiving. So, I've frozen most of it to serve in two weeks.
-=-=-=-=
Pureed Butternut Squash with Orange
2 medium butternut squash (about 4 lbs), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2" chunks
1/4 cup half-and-half
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
Cut off ends of squash, peel skin with vegetable peeler, and seed. Cut into 1 1/2" chunks. Place chunks in large microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high until tender and easily pierced with fork, 15-20 minutes. Stir halfway through.
Carefully remove plastic wrap and drain squash in colander. Return to bowl, add half-and-half, butter, sugar, and marmalade and blend with handheld mixer (you could also use a food processor). Serve.
And it freezes, too!
Cook's Illustrated
No comments:
Post a Comment