Wow, it's been a long time . . .
Recipes and Food and Health
- I loved this post at Motherlode on mealtime rules--and all the comments (including mine own!
- NYC Ed policy: Pop Tarts are good, homemade baked goods are bad.
- Mmmm, a recipe for cranberry bean-kale soup--and believe it or not I have both in my house!
- A NYTimes take on Michael Pollan's Food Rules. If you don't read the book, read the article.
- On city nut roasters, a disappearing breed. At least I got my own stove top one for Christmas, to tide me over when I can't get those glazed peanuts!
- Check out the crazy results of FDA rules on servings and how one bowl of microwave soup is actually 2 servings!
- Dexter's dad goes healthy--with pretzels--from the series on cooking with and for a child in the NYTimes.
- "Generation Snack"
- Mmmm, a whole wheat muffin recipe.
- And baked frittatas from around the Mediterranean.
- And recipes for bulgur (of which I now have a bag).
- And recipes for beans from Greece!
- And yet another discussion of better bread with less kneading'
- And for Mama, do it yourself yakisoba.
- Another great essay by writer-turned-nurse Theresa Brown, on "bully nurses." (Hope you don't know any of these, Aunt Banana).
- Does one cookie hurt? On dieting strategies.
- On the importance of touch: it'll make you more successful and happy!
- More health directives: to eat more slowly, get off your tush . . . .
- But no one knows what to say about salt.
Parenting
- It's a playground out there . . . .
- Another touching essay on Motherlode, this one on losing a child.
- Advice for those who employ childcare workers: how to speak "nanny."
- A new book on a mom's assisted suicide.
- Motherlode on the parents of Olympians. Can you imagine that could be our kids in 13 ish years?
- In Loco Parentis: A scholar's about-face on education policy.
Art and Culture
- Sleuthing on Faulkner and a plantation diary. (good even for non-fans).
- Some letters by Salinger (alright, I didn't like Catcher in the Rye but I'm fascinated now by its author)
- The medical history of King Tut--it sounds as if he had a short, ill life.
On Texas (which I always hate to see in the papers; it's never good)
- On how Texas is contributing to the miseducation of America, through textbooks. (Don't read if you're a liberal and have high blood pressure).
- (And certainly don't read this, which is all about how TX kept a man in prison despite having the signed confession of the actual murderer. And now only exonerated the man, years after he died of asthma in prison).
No comments:
Post a Comment