Inspired by my cousin S's tip about opening foil-sealed container on the edge of the counter, I have a few tips:
- To clean a vase or other narrow-necked container: forget those fancy brushes! Just add some uncooked rice, water, and soap and then swirl around.
- To remove smells in the fridge, put a bag of activated charcoal, which can be purchased wherever fish tank supplies are sold (i.e. Petco), in there. Stays fresh for a long time.
- To pick up lots of bits of paper off the floor without a special vacuum or dust machine, roll a piece of tape, sticky side out, around your hand. Kids love it!
- To keep cooking spray from getting everywhere when you spray a pan or tray, open up the (presumably empty or dirty) dishwasher and spray over the door. It'll be cleaned when you wash it next.
- To clean the dishwasher of crud (which can form when you aren't using petroleum-based toxic cleaners), put 2-3 packets of lemon Kool-Aid (the unsweetened small packets) in the soap dispenser and run the empty dishwasher on a normal cycle.
I know there were others, but that's it for now.
Good hints! I use the one for spraying Pam, too. Got it from a friend several years ago. Makes such good sense, doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteOn a completely different subject, I was browsing ebay a few minutes ago and saw a penguin salt & pepper set, "Willie & Millie," I almost bought them for you knowing how much Bud loves penguins. But, I didn't.