"A knight of the Table Round should be invincible,
Suceed where a less fantastic man would fail.
Climb a wall no one else can climb,
Cleave a dragon in record time,
Swim a moat in a coat of heavy iron mail.
No matter the pain, he ought to be unwinceable,
Impossible deeds should be his daily fare.
But where in the world
Is there in the world
A man so *extraordinaire*?"
--"C'est Moi," Camelot
It's amazing what brown paper bags, cardboard, cardboard tubes, and masking tape can do! I've transformed Bud and Sis into Sir Bud and Lady Sis, complete with shields, pikes, and helmets. The shields are cut from the sides of a box, with a construction paper strap for wearing on their forearms. The pikes are long wrapping paper tubes. The helmets are the piece d'resistance: brown grocery bags with a circle cut into them for a visor and holes cut for the shoulders; Bud's has decorative horns on top and Sis colored and collaged hers with pink marker and paper. And they've been running around all morning dressed in their armor, fighting the evil knights. We even had sparring practice in the castle keep before going on the attack. There's been dancing, too, to the soundtrack of Camelot, but not much feasting (except on yesterday's snickerdoodles)
A few things they've learned:
- paper and cardboard tear really easily but can almost just as easily be repaired;
- do not walk between two people fighting with swords;
- weapons should be stored in the armory, not in the middle of the floor.
Occasionally, instead of throwing the evil knights in our dungeon, we invite them to join us. But, in truth, it's just hard to inject nonviolent communication (NVC) or peace resolution into these games and still keep them fun, especially for 4 year olds. So, I don't try too hard. Besides, I read once somewhere that these black-and-white games of good-and-evil are an important developmental tool . . . and perhaps will one day lead to the other.
"I've never lost
In battle or game;
I'm simply the best by far.
When swords are crossed
'Tis always the same:
One blow and au revoir!
C'est moi! C'est moi! So adm'rably fit!
A French Prometheus unbound.
And here I stand, with valour untold,
Exeption'ly brave, amazingly bold,
To serve at the Table Round!"
No comments:
Post a Comment