On Illness, Dying, and Death
- On the most religious people receiving the most aggressive end-of-life care, see here.
- On the benefits of hospice here.
- A blog pointing to an article on the end-of-life talk (yes, I did mention this earlier.)
- And have I ever mentioned one of the best articles I've read on dying? Jane Gross on the death vigil in 2006. I feel like there was a "to-do" list with the article but I can't find it. Mama, can you?
On Parenting
- On a summer reading list of parental resources. I would add my favorite, Momma Zen. Note: there are lots of interesting titles in the comments section.
- On the possible demise of helicopter parenting here (and the post about it too). Haven't read it yet but really, really want to.
- Does having daughters make you more liberal? The post is about dads but my mom would say, yes, absolutely, having a daughter (especially a non-mainstream one like me, even early on, and because I was overweight), made her a feminist. Imagine what my being a lesbian has done!
- On gratitude and marriage here. I don't think I thank Mama often enough (and not because I think I need to manipulate her into doing things but because I am grateful for all she does. And manners are important even, or even especially, in a marriage).
- Thank goodness this isn't me and my mom. Even if I haven't sent the present yet.
Miscellaneous
- On the Alexander technique for back pain. Hmmm, must ask PT. When I go back after my hiatus.
- On judicial philosophies here.
- Yummy strawberries.
- Okay, so NPR isn't a paper, but I loved this piece on cooking with children because all other play can be boring by Nigella Lawson (one is audio, the other text).
-=-=-=-=-
Okay, this is nuts, but I tried to finish this list months ago (or maybe just in April) and never did so I'm posting it as-is just because, if only to record somewhere what I was reading and thinking. Good luck.
On Parenting:
- Laughter: check out her blog http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/10/laughter-as-a-parenting-tool/ and http://mom2my6pack.blogspot.com
- http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/raising-a-biracial-child/
- Slow Parenting http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/08/what-is-slow-parenting/
Food and Recipes:
- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/dining/15curi.html?ref=dining
- On flatbread: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/22/dining/22mini.html?ref=dining
- also article on sugar http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/dining/15sweet.html?ref=dining
- http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/dining/15united.html?ref=dining
- bitten on stew http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/to-counteract-heavy-meals-vegetable-stew/
- the thrifty dinner blog http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/saving-money-on-dinner/
- and parmesan cheese crackers http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E07E0D91730F937A35751C0A96F9C8B63&scp=2&sq=parmesan%20cheese%20crackers&st=cse
Miscellaneous:
- Frugal living http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/business/economy/11cheap.html?scp=1&sq=frugal%20living&st=cse
- New top careers: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/weekinreview/12lohr.html?em
- community organizing
- http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/in-defense-of-crybabies/#more-3249
- Chinese names http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/21/world/asia/21china.html?pagewanted=1&hp
Hey, ease up on the death and dying. About 2 years ago an anglo-chinese couple had a son, he was badly injured in a car crash, innocent parents, and needed ultra specialist equipment to keep him going. About 2 weeks ago he developed pneumococcal-meningitis and died 4 days ago. Yesterday the parents wrapped his body in a rucksack, his toys in another rucksack, drove 150 miles to a favourite suicide cliff and to-gether jumped off with their child. Grief has no limit.
ReplyDelete