Looking back at my childhood now from the vantage point of several decades, I can see that many of the important life lessons I learned from my father grew out of his passion for grasses. These life lessons weren’t transplanted as full-grown character traits, but rather they started as tiny seeds. Over a period of years — as my Dad spent time with me, as he shared his special interest and knowledge, and as he let me watch him live a genuine life — those tiny character seeds sprouted, took root and grew.
He continues:
Some parents do it while playing and coaching sports. Some do it while painting and remodeling houses. Others do it while fishing, cooking, or changing the oil in their car. Still others do it while involving their children in a family-run business or through active involvement in a church, synagogue, or mosque.
I think my teachable moments are in crafts and cooking and as we've started going to museums. What are yours?
No comments:
Post a Comment