Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Raise the Red Lantern

I bought toys today, kind of a post-hospital treat.

And they were all "Ni Hao, Kai Lan" toys.

The kids' choice.

But I concurred.

Because, you see, I don't think it's often that Chinese-themed toys appear in American toy stores. And there they were: a Chinese girl, some red lanterns, a distinctive Chinese gazebo and bridge, a dragonboat, even a house with some Chinese characters on the door.

And the kids have been playing with them for 3 hours. And we watched the show again. And they spoke Chinese back to the tv!!!

Yeah, I know--I'm falling prey to tv merchandising aimed at children. But, at least this tv show, for these children, can be very positive, as it presents a side of their history, their people, themselves that doesn't usually exist for the American preschool set.

No comments:

Post a Comment