Pictures, with asides, from our weekend, in rough chronological order.
The kids preferred the penguins, walruses, sea lion, jelly fish (Sis), sharks (Bud), well, almost anything to the otter!
For lunch, we headed out in to Coney Island and had Nathan's hot dogs and French Fries. Even I, the vegetarian, had a bite of hot dog and could, admittedly, "switch teams" for them. So good! But I liked my bag of fries and orangeade just fine, thanks! I also really enjoyed seeing the boardwalk--I'd never been to Coney Island before, or, for that matter, walked on a boardwalk that I recall.
While there was definitely some Coney Island weirdness ("shoot the freak" carnival game where you get to paintball shoot a live target, anyone?) or the "world's largest rat" and other things at a bonafide freak show, we much preferred the carousel. Sis rode the white bunny; Bud rode the purple ostrich, seen below.
Back at Ma and Gong's house that afternoon, we managed to flag down the ice cream man and enjoy scoops, despite the rain.
Then, after lots of playing with Mama and Goo's old toys--Dolly Pops, Darda Demon Speed Way, a Monster truck, and, say it ain't so, Barbies!!!! (actually, I had them, Mama had them. No harm done. Sis particularly liked the plastic horse and cowgirl clothes. But, all you gift-giving people, I DO NOT WANT Barbies for Sis for this birthday, please, if only because she can't do any of the clothes by herself. Yeah, that's it)--they made their beds on the floor and actually retired into them after only one story.
And despite all our fears that they wouldn't sleep, they did. Absolutely. All night. It's Mama and I who didn't sleep well, listening for them, of all things.
The next day was the birthday celebration, the offerings in honor of it seen here below. Including the cupcake cake Sis and I baked and decorated. See how there are no sprinkles on the chocolate part? She doesn't like sprinkles.
While the weather wasn't great, we did go to the beach. Sis build drip-drop sand castles, while Bud played ball with Mama and Goo.
And I built a fairy house on the beach, with a little help collecting items (thanks, Goo) and shoveling sand (thanks, Bud).
Lastly, on our way home, literally a block from our house, we spotted a turtle trying to cross the busy street and rescued it from the road. We took it to "Goose Poop Park," henceforth to be called "Turtle Pond."
That's it in a nutshell. Or should I say a turtle shell?
Nice to have my morning reading back, life feels normal again. Glad you enjoyed the break, now you need a rest. By the time you wake up the horse racing will have started at Royal Ascot, the fashion show of the year. Too late to bring the kids but what about 2019?
ReplyDelete