Focusing on four guys who are both a band and movers in an "idea tank" warehouse, this show finds them solving "idea emergencies" with song and silliness, and the help of their cheerful neighbor Nina (despite her boring Uncle Knit Knots). I really like the music, the kids like the silliness, and so we watch several episodes each rest time and listen to two of their CDs.
And so I looked them up on the internet. Turns out they were a regionally-popular kids' band in New Orleans, the only band, apparently, to be discovered at the Kids Tent at the N.O. Jazz Festival. They were in negotiations with Disney when Katrina hit and three of them lost their homes. But the deal was eventually made and I think they even film the show down there, which must be a boon to the local economy. Besides being musicians, the guys have (had?? I imagine they might be too busy now) regular jobs: one is a firefighter who cleaned up after the hurricane, another is a teacher, and another an architect (I think the last is "just" a musician). I'm really touched by their story and glad they've made it to the national stage, where we can watch them on the Disney channel everyday.
Better yet, my friends tell me they're going on tour soon!
It is now 8pm London time. I have been thibking throughout the day about your comments concerning USA public schools. My experience of American children who went through that system has been limited to those I met in La and they all have done well, especially the Caucasians who went to a mainly AfroCarib school....it was far better fitted out than the mainly white schools...there is an interesting thought for you.
ReplyDelete