Thursday, June 18, 2009

Adventures in Cooking Our CSA Share: Lunch, Dinner ,and NPR

Right now, Mama is sauteeing garlic scapes with curly kale and kohlrabi while I listen to NPR's Morning Edition's series, "Farm Fresh Food Finds" on squash flowers, or "nature's ravioli." While I'm not expecting squash flowers in our CSA box, we will get collards, another featured veggie on the series, which explores farmer's markets, their seasonal offerings, and recipes for such.

Not that Mama needs recipes. The saute she whipped up, which she cooked with olive oil and kosher salt, and finished with pepper and lemon juice, was superb. I liked the kohlrabi cooked better than I liked it raw and sliced into my lunchtime salad. And lemon was a nice change from all the garlic (so was the red wine vinegar I splashed into the soups).

I can't wait for tomorrow: Hakurei turnips, radishes, lettuce, escarole, cucumbers, garlic scapes, collard greens, kale, kohlrabi, Asian stir fry mix, and baby spinach. (Funny side note: the email announcing the produce actually described the collard greens, as if they were strange. Just shows where I grew up, I guess. I needed to google Hakurei and escarole, not collards!).

No comments:

Post a Comment