We've woken up to this chorus now three days in a row, progressively earlier in the morning. The kids have no concept of time, particularly how far off Christmas is, so we might have made a mistake pulling out the decorations this early. It's hard to squish their Christmas hopes every morning.
So we have started our advent calendar; hopefully, that will help. We had several from which to choose. Gommie's beautiful quilted tree wall hanging with little ornaments was too tempting to playful cats. So we went with my quilted "Twas the Night Before Christmas" wall hanging with little puffy decorations as well as a paper calendar with little doors, the standard calendar from my childhood. That way, both kids have something to do in the morning.
It didn't help. Right after we did the calendar, Sis asked if there were treats from Santa in her stocking.
I loved advent calendars as a child. The cheapy paper ones with the cutesy Christmas scene on the front were my favorites. Sometimes, I'd save them from year to year so I could have more than one to open. I'm sure if you looked in my mom's Christmas boxes there would be at least one old calendar. I never really liked the ones where you got chocolate or candy--it was never very good anyway. Now there are all sorts of trinket-laden advent calendars. Or those calendars that are actually numbered drawers in a box. Gift-giving for 24 days in December, plus the big one? I prefer the tease of the other calendars.
It might actually make me happy to wake up so early in the morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment