Thursday, July 29, 2010

Not a Box

If you don't know Antoinette Portis's book about a bunny playing in, well, Not a Box, I highly recommend.

Then, get some boxes.

While we have two paper ream-sized boxes which have done duty as all matter of transportation and furniture, we have never had really big boxes. The fridge, washer, dryer, and stove arrived before the kids (actually, all the appliances died a few weeks after we bought the house. Go figure).

But this week, my 7'-long elliptical came in a humongous (that's been a "word on the street!") box. Perfect for a puppet theater. Mama cut a hole for the performance space and yesterday we took it outside and painted it. Bud practiced color field painting in blue and green. Sis created a landscape complete with white bunny in a field of flowers. I added some rainbow colors here and there.

The theater has dried and now awaits some final touches, mainly some kind of scenery or backdrop or curtain so that you can't see the puppeteers (though, they have to kneel tall even to reach, so that's not too much of a problem) or the kitchen behind them. We could even add waxed paper and make it a shadow puppet theater.

And of course, we'll have to make a lot more puppets . . . . the only downside, as far as the kids seem concerned, is that they can't see the show they put on. I guess I'm going to have to find the video camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment