Tuesday, July 6, 2010

First Harvest

After we watered our little garden this morning, we conducted our first harvest, hoping to save some of the produce from wilting in this unseasonal heat. Sis and Bud gently (and not so) pulled snow peas off their vines. I ate one on the spot, much to their horror. And then Sis--SIS!--gamely tried one too, even if she opened it only to eat the peas out of the inside. But she liked it and ate 2 more. I'm stunned. We'll plant a whole bed of snow peas next year! (Actually, we'll need a second raised bed because this year we planted too much in our little space--the squash plants are double the size we had last year. I wonder if it's better light? soil? Just not sure.) We also harvested a head of romaine lettuce but neither kid could be induced to consider sampling it, dressing or not. I'll save it for dinner. Otherwise, we have one tiny little Italian striped zucchini on a gargantuan plant, and lots of blossoms on it and our yellow crookneck squash plant. There is one long Dragon Tongue bean pod (don't you love the names?). On our topsy-turvy tomato plant there are several little tomato balls, a long way from being ready. But our strawberries aren't doing that well. Still, it's fun to check on our progress and eat the fruits, er, vegetables of our labors.

No comments:

Post a Comment