Thursday, July 22, 2010

License to Kill, Revoked

In my post the other day about my personal war on flies (which has ended because they've disappeared), I forgot to relay a conversation we had about killing flies.

Bud said to me, "Mom, if we believe in the importance of all living things, why do you kill flies? They're alive."

Darn church attendance and those UU principles, anyway.

I tried to explain that flies weren't clean and would just multiply, that it was a health-and-safety issue, that we'd tried to get rid of them mercifully by sealing the windows and such, but it hadn't worked.

"But you're a vegetarian. You don't kill animals."

Sigh.

I guess they were listening.

And now they're not going to believe me anymore.

1 comment:

  1. You do your best to teach them to think and then when they do you find they think the wrong things. That is one of the joys of parenthood, so we are told. Wait until they are 15 and 25 and 35 then you can have real adult discussions with them on such things. You will not win but at least you can put your point of view.

    ReplyDelete