A deep "aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh" issued forth, though, and the kids who were following me to get their evening toothbrushes stepped back as I could hear Mama running up the stairs.
"I'm okay," I yelled, only because I knew she'd think it was my back. She helped me to the bed and for the first 45 minutes I would've sworn I'd broken it (I've broken toes before). Mama got ice while Sis covered me with a blanket and climbed into bed next to me sweetly, handing me a framed picture of her to me as an extra measure to make me happy. Then she wanted to look at the toe. "Your toes are great," she said. I realized I must always have on socks or shoes around her so that she's probably never seen my toes. They're short and pudgy with funny little nails. She was fascinated and so played "this little piggy" on my uninjured foot.
Bud was just bothered and climbed up on me to kiss my face and hug me close. Then he asked if the toe had come off. When I said no, it was just hurt, he offered to kiss it for me. I said no, but he still insisted on getting a close look to make sure it was still there.
We did the bedtime routine in our room and got them to bed a little late. Later still is bedtime for us because I sat on the couch, foot elevated under an ice pack, while Mama cleaned up an exceptionally messy kitchen and living room. I don't think the toe is broken now, just, well, crunched a bit. I imagine a great big purple bruise will come up in a few days. But at least by then I'll be walking on it . . . .
Thanks Mama, Sis, and Bud for all your TLC!
Learn a new curse word you can use in front of the children.
ReplyDeleteWait for it:
Christmas crackers.
Combines all sorts of rreal cursing.