Friday, July 2, 2010

Midnight Oil

At what point does it not make any sense to pretend or even try to be asleep anymore?

I haven't been sleeping well. And in some ways, that's been a good thing: I think my waking up to flip over (and move my myriad of supportive pillows) or go to the bathroom keep my back from becoming incredibly stiff overnight. I don't know if it is mental anxiety about my back waking me up or physical strain from not moving/sleeping for stretches at a time (I do always wake up more tight than I go to bed), or something else, but I've seen almost every hour this week and my back isn't as loose as that would imply! Tonight alone, after going to bed at 10:45 ish, I saw midnight and 1 and have now, at 5 with light breaking and birds singing, been up for more than 2 hours. I have ruminated on everything under the sun, not even essentially stressful things--like, um, Kagan's nomination and the make-up of the Supreme Court, plus that recent article on the demise of White Protestantism and how that can be viewed as a meritocratic success. So not miserable, just awake. And I think I'm up for the day. The cats have stirred and the kids will be up in less than 2 hours. I'm not even sure I could make myself go to sleep by then if I wanted to. Well, though, I would want to.

Hope you're not reading this "real-time," except maybe you, Lambeth, as it's, what 11:15 am where you are. Maybe my body is telling me I need to move to England or something . . .

1 comment:

  1. Lady you are in a mess, we are only 5 hours in front of you, it is therefore about 6 am in Ct. I woke up with an odd dream; I heard a car go by too fast, then a crash, followed by silence and screams. I called 999, our emergency service and they had never heard of the location I described 'The road has been here for 900 years, get a new map' ' I have a new map and there is no such road' 'Just send an ambulance to my house and I will lead it there' 'where do you live' ???? 'there is no such place, what is the house number?' 'It does not have a number but it has been here for 250 years, how long has the ambulance service been going?' 'You're drunk, go to hell'. Then I woke up.

    ReplyDelete