
I don’t know who “Vel” is but I like her recipe for shortbread that I found on allrecipes.com. It has a homey flavor because of the brown sugar. It’s one of my favorites. I usually half the recipe.
2 cups butter
1 cup brown sugar
5 cups sifted flour
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in flour and knead by hand until dough comes together. At first the dough will seem dry and crumbly but don’t give up, keep mixing. Roll out the dough to ¼” thickness and cut with cookie cutters or press dough into shortbread molds (be sure to lightly grease mold and sprinkle with sugar). Place cookies 2” apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 8-12 minutes in the preheated oven, depending on the size of your cookies. Do not let them brown. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks. (Note: If you use a ceramic pan, turn the oven down to 325F and bake for 30 minutes).
So pleased you enjoyed your trip to 'Scotland'. Be careful of Irn Bru, it reallly can rot your teeth as wellas becoming addictive. Lookling at the Clan Hay site I see that your people come from a wee bit north of mine so they probably did not fight each other. I prefer harp music, gentler, not the sort of sound you play when you are sending men into battle. It was aid that pipe music put the fear of god into the Germans during WW1. The Gurkhas had the opposite approach, they went into the enemy trenches silently, did their killing quickly and got back without a sound.
ReplyDeleteI quote from my history master who served with the Gurkhas in WW1.
Have a nice week.