Thursday, July 16, 2009
Oh, Orthotics
My new orthotics are in, black inserts (somewhat resembling dark marbled paper) in both shoes, plus a lift in the right one. And they are so unsteadying/unbalancing (what is the word?), as if I were suddenly a sailor long at sea walking on land again. Because I roll my feet in, the orthotics now push my feet out so that I feel like I'm walking on the outer edge of my feet, when in actuality, I'm walking "normally." It could take up to 3 weeks to get used to them, with some moderate discomfort as the orthotics put to use muscles not used in my previous gait--I could tell in one lap of the clinic that my muscles were surprised. I'm supposed to increase wear each day by an hour, decreasing it to 30 minutes if it is unbearable. Let's hope not. But it's worth it--I believe they will help with my waddle-y walk as well as all my structural issues (from uneven legs to mild scoliosis to diastasis recti), if only because they'll keep everything in proper alignment and correct form.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment