Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Kolaches, Sweet Kolaches

After waiting almost a month, because my issue was lost and the replacement was delayed, and worrying that I would never get it, I have received my copy of Saveur, issue 121: The Texas Issue. And I have been so excited reading all about the food, food history, restaurants, chefs, and recipes of my state: chili, Whole Foods, kolaches, CFS, pinto beans, chuck wagon cooking, German potato salad, BBQ with white bread, dewberry cobbler, Liberty Bar (in S.A.), Texas caviar, pecan pie. There's even a blog I now love, called Homesick Texan, about a Texan foodie who lives in NYC (which reminds me to read through the whole Times's list of 50 best food blogs, as this is one of them.). If I were a better cook and a better writer, it could be me! She even has a whole post about my beloved Ranch Style Beans!!! (she also features Blue Bell ice cream, King Ranch Chicken, Luby's, kolaches, and a whole host of other goodies).

Did I mention kolaches? I'm on a kolache kick. What's that, you say? (and you say it "ka-lotch-eese). It's a sweet yeast pastry filled with various (usually fruit) fillings, primarily Czech in origin and found in Central Texas. My favorites are the apricot, cream cheese, and cottage cheese kolaches from Prasek's. I have my maternal great-grandmother's recipe, from my Aunt T, but now I understand that my mom has procured my Aunt J's mother's recipe as well. I think we might just have to make kolaches when Gommie visits. What's not to love? Sis will love the pastry and Bud will love the filling. And I'm much more comfortable working with yeast. And if that doesn't work, my wonderful mom is apparently bringing some Prasek's kolaches in her suitcase! Which is the perfect gift for a "Tex-pat" like me (for others, see the Homesick Texan's list)!

But back to Saveur. Sure, there are lots of pictures of beef and I just don't eat that anymore (which, among other things, probably disqualifies me from being a true Texan anymore) but I have fond memories of it. Just like I do of Texas: I might not live there (or even visit often) but I love it. And if you come to Connecticut, I'll serve you up some Texas-sized hospitality. Maybe even with some kolaches!

-=-=-=-=-
Great-Grandmother's recipe for Kolatches (her spelling) from Her Friend Mrs. M

(Start the rich yeast dough first, then make all three of the fillings if you want to make a big to-do of coffee-time--any hour of day or night!)

Place in large mixing bowl and blend until softened
1 cake compressed yeast
2 tablespoons water
Add the following and beat until smooth to form a sponge . . .
2 tablespoons sugar
tall can of evaporated milk (note: 12 oz)
1 cup flour (not sifted)
Set above in warm place to double in bulk. Then return to mixer, punch down and mix in the following producing a smooth satiny dough, actually too soft to be handled . . . .
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup soft shortening
2 1/2 cups flour (approximately, not sifted)
Cover dough and let rise until doubled, then punch down in bowl and work out air bubbles. Turn onto floured board (using minimum to retain softenes of dough), and pat or roll out to 5/8-inch thickness. Cut in rounds of desired size; en route to cookie sheet dip in melted butter or margarine. Filling (one or all of the follwing should be cooled and ready to add not (my note: ??confusing??)--pressing a spoonful in center of each round. Makes approximately 4 dozen 2 1/2 to 3 inch kolatches.

Prune or Apricot Filling
Combine as listed in saucepan--then cook, stirring constantly, until thickened . . . .
1/2 cup sugar (or to taste)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
#2 or 303 can of "stewed" dried prunes or apricot halves
Cool before using--with "sweet topping" (details later). Makes enough to fill approximately 2 dozen.

Cottage Cheese Filling
Blend together in bowl, mixing thoroughly with a fork;
1 cup dry ( note: well-drained) fine-curd cottage cheese ("homemade preferred")
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar (or to taste) (my note: it might read 1/4 cup; hard to decipher)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
Filling is ready to use--with "sweet topping". Makes enough to fill approximately 1 dozen kolatches.

Meat Filling
Place in skillet and cook slowly until well-done and lightly browned;
1 lb bulk pork sausage
1 large onion (finely chopped)
1 clove of garlic (crushed)
1 tablespoon pepper
salt (to your liking)
Drain off excess fa (or remove mixture from skillet) and cool Spoon on dough rounds, but instead of baking open, bring dough up around filling to form rolls--then place, seam downward, on cooking sheet. Makes enough for approximately 2 dozen "rolled" kolatches.

Sweet Topping to be sprinkled over fruit and cheese-filled kolatches is made as follows:
Combine in bowl and mix with pastry blender until light and crumbly:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons butter or margarine
Now, in this order, top each of the fruit and cheese kolatches with "some" of the following:
Sweet topping
Chopped nuts
Melted butter or margarine
When filled, likely the dough will have risen the necessary 10 to 15 minutes--therefore kolatches will be ready to bake.
Bake kolatches (all types) in 400-degree oven 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and nicely browned. Remove and brush or dribble over tops at once melted butter or margarine.
Serve warm or cold--with coffee a must!
For quick kolatches, the up-and-coming Mrs. M uses roll mix, sayin git's not as rich but will do in a pinch.

A note: "From article in newspaper"
(the recipe was typed on lined school paper with a few handwritten notes and faxed to me by Aunt T)


No comments:

Post a Comment