8:02 a.m. We head to the porch to decorate our windows (and remove the bunny and eggs that were still there!). With red, white, blue, and yellow paint, we make a glorious mess. I paint stars and fireworks, while Sis creates a red (it's like pink) 4th of July bunny and Bud makes his own fireworks explosion. Did I mention the mess? Note: to make window paint, add a little dishwashing liquid to washable children's paints (in about a 1:4 ratio of soap to paint). Don't use water at all, even to clean brushes, as it will create drips and suds.
8:46 a.m. Watermelon! That's our morning snack, a great, big, ripe watermelon. Or, well, part of it. I slice the rest for later. And make Crystallized Watermelon Slices, which mainly involves cutting watermelon into wedges about 1/2" thick and sprinkly them lightly with sugar; then freeze on a wax-paper lined tray for four hours and enjoy!
9:26 a.m. After more play, I begin processing strawberries. Again. Yes, we went strawberry picking yesterday after a local 4th of July festival. But not 13 lbs worth, thank heavens. Because these berries are more ripe than the last batch, almost overripe, we're cooking or freezing them all. Some became our favorite Fresh Strawberry Pie, while others are just being sweetened (3/4 cup sugar to 1 quart hulled, sliced berries) and frozen.
10:01 a.m. Mama woke up, helped me with the last of the strawberries, fed the children another fruit snack--this time, lychee and longan in syrup previously frozen in cans then slightly defrosted and eaten like a slushie--and took over while I come upstairs for some air and space. Whew. Later on the schedule today: making homemade ice cream in our new rolly ball and then eating it with our pie, hamburgers and fries, ramen salad, bean salad, and whatever else we pull out for lunch; then, s'mores--over our brand new fire pit (THANK YOU so much for the wedding present, Cousin S; a note is on the way soon!)--and sparklers, maybe some fireworks on tv (I'm taping Macy's in NY and Boston Pops tonight but Capitol 4th is coming on this afternoon). Double whew.
No comments:
Post a Comment