Sunday, April 5, 2009

In the Thick of Parenting

A music lesson.  A special lunch at a new restaurant.  A quiet drive through spring-tinged woods.  Play.  Dinner.  Bedtime.

Then a fun night out for me.  And a close, sweet conversation when I got home.

Bed.

Not much sleep.  

Fever for Sis this morning.  Ear infection?  Something else?  

No church.  Trip to the pediatrician tomorrow.  School on Tuesday?  Cancel my appointments?

How quickly things change.

Am I happy?  Studies tell me no.  

But art tells me yes, because she said she wanted "a mommy day": 

"I was fine,

I pulled myself together

Just in time,

To throw my self away

Once my perfect world was gone
I knew,
You ruined everything in the nicest way



"You should know,

How great things were before you

Even so,

They’re better still today

Now I can’t think who I was before

You ruined everything in the nicest way



"Bumps in the road remind us

The worst of the best behind us

Only good things will find us, me and you


"Days will be clear and sunny

We’re gonna need more money

Baby you know it’s funny

All those stories coming,

True



"Despite my better efforts,

It’s all for you

the worst kind of cliché



"I’ll be with you till the day you leave

You ruined everything in the nicest way."

Singer-songwriter Jonathan Coulton, “You ruined everything in the nicest way," a song he wrote for his young daughter. (I haven't actually ever heard the song but saw the lyrics posted in the comments of Motherlode and connected with them immediately.  Now I'll go find the song.)


-=-=-=-=-=-

A chocolate recipe from the party from a new friend:

Cool & Creamy Chocolate Fondue 

 

¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels

1 container (8oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed

½ tsp cinnamon

½ tsp rum or vanilla extract (optional) ß I use actual rum J

 

Combine chocolate and half of the whipped topping in a microwave safe bowl and heat on HIGH in the microwave for 1 minute until chocolate is melted and smooth (mix after each 20 second interval).

Fold in remaining whipped topping, cinnamon and rum extract, mix until smooth. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.


(My note:  especially good with cinnamon pita chips)


Dr. K

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment