Friday, April 10, 2009

I'm So Proud of Myself

I made a gorgeous artisanal-like, elaborate, braided Cardamom Easter bread for our early Easter celebration tomorrow with Goo, Gong, and Ma.  WOW!  It's lovely.  And looks so impressive!  I can't believe I made it.  I haven't ever made anything like it.  I should confess that I used the bread machine to make the dough, having gotten the recipe out of my new favorite cookbook, Beth Hensperger's The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook. And that's okay.  I still had to do the punching, proofing, braiding, egg wash, and decorative sugar myself.  Oh, and that lemony-cardamom smell wafting through the house.  Amazing.

So what did I do?  When it had cooled, I sliced off an end to try!  Forget a showstopping presentation tomorrow.  I wanted to try my incredible creation while it was really fresh.  So wonderful.  So delicious.  Mama is enjoying picking the sugar crust off the top.  

At this rate, I hope there is some leftover tomorrow!

-=-=-=-=-

Cardamom Easter Braid

1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
1 large egg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
grated zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom or 8 cardamom pods, crushed
2 3/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
1 1/4 cups golden raisins or chopped glaceed dried fruit
1 egg white mixed with 1 teaspoon water for glaze
raw or decorating sugar, for sprinkling

Place the dough ingredients, except the raisins or fruit, in the pan according to the order in the manufacturer's instructions.  Program for the Dough cycle; press Start.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.  When the machine beeps at the end of the cycle, press Stop and unplug the machine.  Immediately turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface.  Pat into a fat rectangle and sprinkle with raisins or fruit.  Fold the dough over in thirds and knead gently to distribute evenly.  Cover with a clean tea towel and let rest on the work surface for 15 minutes to relax the dough.

Divide the dough into 3 equal portions.  Using your palms, roll each section into a fat rope about 15 inches long and tapered at each end.  Be sure the ropes are of equal size and shape.  Place the 3 ropes parallel to each other and braid like you are braiding hair.  Adjust or press the braid to make it look even.  Transfer to the baking sheet.  Tuck the ends under, pinching the ends into tapered points.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until the dough is almost doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Twenty minutes before baking, set the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat it to 375F.

Beat the egg white and water for the glaze with a fork until foamy.  Using a pastry brush, brush the tops fo the loaves with the egg glaze and sprinkle liberally with the sugar.  Bake for 40-45 mintues, or until the loaves are golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom with your finger.  Cool on the baking sheet on a rack.  Let cool to room temperature before slicing.

Beth Hensperger, The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook



No comments:

Post a Comment