I was sent out of the house after kung fu on Saturday, told to walk my full 40 minutes.
When I came back, the kids were bouncing in anticipation. There were streamers on the tree, my chair, and the stairs, hanging decorations on the windows, and a huge centerpiece on the table. There was a "Birthday Jedi Knight" button with Yoda to wear (and wear I did, all day, that night, and to church and lunch the next day!). Immediately gifts were pulled out from underneath the tree. And unwrapped almost as quickly . . . if this is any indication, the opening of presents on Christmas will last 10 minutes and the kids will open everyone's! I got a Princess Leia figure in Endor outfit with Wicket, a Han Solo, and a random rebel pilot who looked like Luke. I also got a Hoth Jedi fighter that the figures can fly in. Plus a Yoda pencil case. I also got two books, Toot and Puddle Around the World and A Bad Case of Stripes. And a lovely rainbow-colored basket made out of tightly-wound newspaper. And even though it sounds like most of those are for the kids, since I do play Star Wars with them everyday, it's nice to have my own figures (well, plus all my original ones and the Ewok Village, which I have gladly passed along).
One of those presents, I learned, has a story. When Mama and the kids were at the bookstore, Sis piped up, "Mom will like the book about the rainbow kid." Mama was floored; what was Sis talking about? Sis tried to elaborate, which sent Mama googling. Mama eventually figured out "stripes" and found the book. About a girl who loves lima beans but won't eat them for fear of being different. Sis is right; I love that book. And my girl, who has the most amazing memory . . . since I read that book to them only once more than a year ago.
To finish up the party, we played "pin the blast on the space ship" game, trying to take out the Empire with our eyes closed, while Mama got out cake and treats. Chocolate-orange flourless cake for me and Mama, vanilla cupcake for Sis, and blueberry frangipane tart for Bud (who only ate the blueberries!).
And then we went to watch . . . . How to Train Your Dragon!
No comments:
Post a Comment