Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Activities: Festival of Lights

With the beginning of Hanukkah last night, our Advent activity (yes, I get the irony) today is "learn about another winter holiday." I filled the little sock with blue and silver chocolates and presented a bag of activities including dreidels, a book Latkes, Latkes, Good to Eat, and a box of latke mix for lunch. The kids were very excited about the chocolates, a few of which they ate for breakfast, and the game.

Intrigued by the idea of learning about different winter holidays, Sis asked, "Mom, what holiday do Christians celebrate in December? Maybe we should do that some year."

Maybe.

I guess that's both the joy and concern of being a Unitarian Universalist child: you get to learn about and celebrate lots of different holidays, but sometimes you get confused.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Update: The latkes were a surprise hit, considering that Bud doesn't like potatoes and Sis doesn't always like to eat new food. We downed an entire batch and are ready to make a second with Mama later this weekend. Also, of course, dreidels were fun. And Bud even invented a new song, "Spin the dreidel, spin the dreidel, spin the dreidel. Yum! Yum!"

-=-=-=-=-=-

Last Update: The played dreidels several times throughout the day, with Bud even taking the game over to a friend's house to play while we had Daisies. Upon coming home, he turned to me, "Mom, I'm glad you're Jewish because I like Hanukkah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment