Thursday, November 20, 2008

Reverberations

As I've said I've been singing Les Mis in the car the last few days, crying as I go. Yes, I am PMSing. But, I've also radically altered how I see this musical. Once, for me, it was a love story, requited and unrequited; I wasn't that interested in Valjean's personal, spiritual journey. But now, I also see it as a story of parental love (which is why I'm crying as Fantine gives Cosette away in the beginning and Valjean says goodbye to Cosette at the end; but I don't really like Cosette. That "Castle on a Cloud" song grates on my nerves.).

But in the end, it's a story of spirituality and religion, of Valjean and Javert, morality and righteousness.

And all I keep singing is "to love another person is to see the face of God."

Was Victor Hugo a Unitarian Universalist*?

I might actually have to read the novel (please, oh please, tell me the line is in the book and not just the musical??)

-=-=-=-=-

**Nope, because they were separate religious movements in the 19th century. But he did abandon Catholicism for a more liberal spiritualism according to Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment