Thursday, April 23, 2015

New Affirmations

I posted a list of Affirmations I use to buck up my confidence back in March, actually a week before my surgery.  I realize I could add several things to it.  So, here we go, my recent list of accomplishments:

I can walk.
I can even walk around Target for a little bit.
I can ride in the car for awhile.
I can sit on the couch.
I can take a shower.
I can put on almost all my own clothes (socks are hard and I'm wearing slip-on shoes.)
I can unload the top rack of the dishwasher.
I can wash a few dishes.
I can help pack school lunches.
I can blog.
I can crochet.


I include my older list, with some edits, to keep me going:

I have not had severely debilitating back pain in almost 4 whole years.
Last Memorial Day 2014 when I had back pain, I still functioned and did things.
My surgery was four weeks ago and I am much better.
I can walk longer and faster than before (well, beforehand.)
I can drive longer than I have in years (I drove the furthest, 25 miles, the day before my emergency!)
I know how to cope with pain.
I know how to cope with fear.
I know there will be pain and fear and I am ready.
I can be calm in a crisis.
I can accept that I am not in control.
I have compassion for myself.
I have the tools I need--meds, heat pack, brace, stretches, rest.
I have great support and understanding in Mama and the kids, my parents and my sister.
I have the time and resources to take it easy.

I've survived and thrived:
  • On trips to
    • ENGLAND! and Cardiff!
    • Girl Scout overnight, on the floor, at Old Sturbridge Village!! (this one gets forgotten because it was three days before my emergency)
    • Disney World (even though EPCOT was hard, I got through it)
    • Washington DC
    • Boston
    • Philadelphia
    • Houston and environs
    • our nano-honeymoon in NYC (and all those stairs at the Merchant House)
  • Experiences such as
    • sitting at a hospital bedside and visiting for hours.
    • lighting a fire and cooking over it.
    • going swimming
    • taking GS outdoor class Food, Fire, & Fun.
    • taking archery and becoming certified as an instructor.
    • passing First Aid and CPR--I can give mouth-to-mouth and use an AED.
    • riding on parade floats and giving a lecture on costuming in full corseted costume.
    • sitting at the piano and play "Finlandia."
    • learning ASL
    • going on retreat by myself for two nights all alone--including sitting at length, creating art, taking yoga
    • winning 4 stars on Just Dance, dancing to "Bang, Bang."
    • playing basketball with the kids
    • playing water basketball with the kids at the Y
    • going to long movies
    • going to Lion KingPhantom of the Opera, Les Mis, Wicked, Vagina Monologues
    • wandering around museums
    • eating in restaurants at night
    • walking in the snow
    • making snow angels
    • going canoeing
  • I can do (before my surgery . . . and I will again!)
    • laundry
    • baking
    • unloading the dishwasher
    • walking on the treadmill
    • sitting on the floor with the cats
    • taking a real bath
I did all that.  I can do what comes next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment