Thursday, April 30, 2015

Cooking Again

I'm cooking again!

Last night, I put together a really wonderful chicken tortellini soup.  In fact, because of a happy accident, it was better than I supposed.  See, there was frozen homemade stock in the fridge and I used that.  But it smelled like bacon.  I was worried that it was somehow chicken stock that had gone off, but serendipitously it was smoked ham stock from earlier this year, as Sis reminded me.  Mama had been saving it for some homemade Chinese soup, so I feel bad about using it, but it was delicious.  The soup turned out to be this bacony, chicken, cheesy tortellini thing with a smattering of kale.  Lovely!  And completely un-reproduceable unless we buy another fancy smoked ham.  Makes my regular chicken tortellini soup (just chicken cooked in broth, plus frozen tortellini and any frozen veg and seasonings you like) seem kinda boring now.

Today, I'm trying my first eMeals recipe.  It's similar to one a friend brought recently but made in the slow cooker instead of sauteed on the stove.  Sis is especially excited because cheesy or creamy sauces like Alfredo are some of her favorites.

I feel very accomplished.

UPDATE:  We really liked this--the kids inhaled it!  And there is barely a single serving left.  We ate it with pasta.

-=-=-=-=-=-=

Creamy Parmesan Chicken in Slow Cooker
2½ lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1½ Tbsp Montreal chicken seasoning (not sure what this is, so I used seasoned salt, garlic powder, some Italian herbs)
3 green onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 (8-oz) container sour cream
1 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese

Pound chicken to an even thickness, and sprinkle with seasoning. Place in a greased 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add green onions and garlic; pour in broth. Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker, reserving liquid in slow cooker; shred chicken--use half and save half for something else.  Whisk sour cream into mixture in slow cooker. Stir in Parmesan and remaining shredded chicken.

emeals

No comments:

Post a Comment