Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ordinary Miracles

See, that song is stuck in my head. And, well, it makes a better title than the other songs that made me cry last week, including "Live Like You Were Dying" and "I Run" (Melissa Etheridge's song about breast cancer).

Actually, the former is probably more apropos for this post, which is my "Everything I Needed to Know I Learned in the MRI Tunnel" (or doctor's waiting room). Because I had some clarity during the week we awaited the second test results as well as since then.

So here we go, the Top Ten things, big and small, I realized:

10. I want to finish cross-stitching the birth announcements we started for the kids in 2005.
9. And I want to finish crocheting the Christmas stockings for Mama and me.
8. I cared about all the junk I have stashed in the basement and don't want anyone but me to clean it out.
9. I didn't care about the clutter in the rest of the house.
8. Nor did I suddenly desire to go sky diving, Rocky Mountain climbing, or bull riding, to borrow from the song, or really regret that there are lots of places I've never been, things I've never done, things I don't own.
7. Though, I'd like to see London and Rome again. (And just for Mama, Antarctica and the penguins.)
6. I'm glad I'm a stay-at-home-mom and don't regret abandoning my career or academic life at all.
5. I'm quicker to recognize and stop scary "movies in my head."
4. I'm great at crossing bridges before I get there, sometimes 2 or 3 ahead.
3. I'm seeing the miracle in everyday with more clarity.
2. Meditation helps.
1. I am blessed by the friends and family in my life, especially Mama.

(And a bonus: any kind of afterlife didn't concern me as much as "life after" for the people left behind).

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete