Thursday, June 24, 2010

From the Heart (Of Texas): Bay in a Day (Saturday)

You can't keep a good Gommie down. We almost did everything she had planned in the first afternoon! They hit the beach within minutes of arriving, the kids thrilled to get in the water. And we were shocked. They'd only first ventured into the ocean alone the Saturday before. And while it was the clear water of the Atlantic, the waves were 5' tall and the riptide strong. Plus the water was COLD. Not so Texas: brown, warm water with not much of a surf or undertow (which everyone seemed to not quite apologize for about as often as I mentioned how hot it was). And the kids headed into it with almost no fear. In the beginning, I stayed on the beach, chatting with the a parade of relatives who came to greet the prodigal moms and their kiddos. But then I, who should never have seen /Jaws/, went into the bay for the first time in 2 1/2 decades. And only because I'm the mom. Funny what motherhood does to you. Besides, with Gommie in the water, plus my cousin C and her two girls (Sis's "girl cousins" whom she unhesitantly approached and invited into the water, as if it were new for them all, not knowing that those girls have grown up in that bay; regardless, Sis really enjoyed meeting her cousins. Thanks for coming down, y'all!), I was a bit redundant. The kids floated on these netted doughnut floats or alternately paddled along on kickboards as I watched and got several hugs from the friendly fish-like cousins. Only once did Sis go completely under, in waist high water, but I her righted quickly enough and she was undeterred.

After about 2 hours in the water during the heat of the day, we all headed in for rest time and some games, another bay staple. I got a wonderful nap. And we had some snacks. All of which we followed up with a great boat ride. Around and around for the "Arleene cruise" (named after my Bammie's favorite boat ride). The kids marveled at the swooping and diving pterandon-like pelicans but were also mystified by the lack of other sea life--where were the turtles and crabs and otters and such always pictured teeming in picturebook images of the ocean? This lacuna was overlooked when Pop let them drive the boat. Bud loved steering, the act of moving the wheel around and around regardless of where it led. Sis, however, continually checked with Pop about the direction in which she should steer, maintaining a relatively straight and steady course. They both beamed with pride and pleasure.

The rest of the day found us visiting on the porch, doing arts and crafts, birdwatching, taking a shower outside, and going to bed super later. That pretty much only left kite-flying and fishing on our to-do list! And then we can do it all again and again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment