(And yes, I really was listening to it a bit ago. Then Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" (unedited!). It's my no-kids-in-the-house/loud-music-dance-a-thon! Now "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Yes, my tastes are outdated and decidedly popular).
For today is GRADUATION! And we're all ready.
Especially after this last week, I'm so happy to be able to celebrate this transition, this new beginning, this milestone.
I'm not sure when preschool graduation became a big deal. I don't remember it at all--Gommie, did I "graduate?" While we're marking the occasion with Ma and Gong, dinner out, and probably ice cream, there are no new clothes or gifts. Though, there will be tears, no doubt.
Which is okay, because the kids have been prepared. Apparently, one of the teachers pretended to be an hysterically weeping mom, "Oh, my baby! You're so big! I'm so proud! I love you!" kiss-kiss-hug-hug-sob. The other teachers told them that moms will cry, not because they're sad but because they are happy and proud. And weird. That's the word. Silly. So, my kids have been asking if I'm going to cry--yes--and if it's a sad cry (like for the death of our cat Morgan or when Gommie goes home) or a happy cry. It's happy, of course, though maybe a bit sad, but there's no sense confusing them. I think they think I'm a bit touched, already--does that explain why they don't listen sometimes? Maybe.
Anyway, we spent yesterday afternoon making desserts for the reception after the ceremony--chocolate-chocolate and vanilla-strawberry cream Whoopie pies, my first and successful attempt (mmm, they taste like inside-out cake. Thanks for the tips, Mama Teacher!)--Sis was so helpful and enjoyed licking the bowl first (once that's done, she's done). Bud was in the basement, "changing his square," which means rotating out the big toyscape he's set up (dinosaurs or knights right now; a square because they each have a specifically demarcated space). They also painted cardstock bookmarks, splatter-style, to put in the books we got for each teacher. This morning, Sis helped me bag them and choose color-coordinated tissue paper.
We delivered those today so as not to get caught in the hubbub of the last day (and maybe to downsize THE LAST DAY somewhat). They were so proud and happy to deliver their presents, having chosen the books themselves (chocolate, gardening, music, and art for each of the subjects they associate with those particular teachers), though I did enclose the gift receipt in the cards that made me cry to write. The teachers oohed and aahed, which was sweet, and so I left them at school, to run errands, come home to clean, to rest, to blog.
And all that's left to do is enjoy the day.
And cry.
The happy cry.
No comments:
Post a Comment